Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Nalu 2.0


Well I spent the day today making a true to life mock up of the new Nalu stool. Which I am calling Nalu 2.0. I thought I would make a few adjustments to it for the competition in Hobart.



I have thinned it out alot. Instead of the whole thing being 30mm thick it is now 25mm thick. The sides are now 45mm wide instead of 55mm. The top rails and the feet also now taper from back to front, and then they are rounded into the front legs. So there is a real gentle curve in the inside corners. I think that this gives the stool a really light feel. I made it so that I could test the strength to make sure it holds up. So far so good. Tomorrow I am going to stand on it to see what happens. I made this mock up out of Tasmanian Blackwood. I think it looks really good, and plan to make the next set for the show out of Blackwood. From start to finish on this mock up took a total of 1.5 hours. I hope to be able to make the next three in about 15 total hours with seats and everything. The seats for these new stools with be attached with a stainless steel spacer between the stool and the seat. I think this will give a really nice touch. We shall see.

No comments: