Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Drawers, Dovetails and Headaches


I spent the entire day working on one drawer. Yeah I know that is crazy. But it goes to so you when you don't plan well things don't happen the way you want them to. This morning I was flying. I cut both sets of half-blind dovetails by hand in alittle under an hour. I thought man that was sweet. They came off the saw and slip right together. That was the first problem. Because I got cocky. So I decided I better get the drawer bottom ready. I have a nice thick piece of Western red cedar. So I sliced of a couple of pieces, edged them together and let them dry for about 30 minutes. Came back to find that I had glued them in the wrong direction.






Fixed that problem and then started to make my drawer slips and drawer back. Those went fine, I then cut the dovetails on the back and sides. I did those by hand also with through dovetails. Once again straight off the saw they fit together beautifully. I was quite proud of myself, since I had not cut a dovetail in about a year.

Went to fit the sides and back in with the base to find that it wasn't going to work. So I came up with a solution to use a plywood base so that the wood doesn't move so I don't have to leave any extra room anywhere. Then I am going to glue a nice piece of leather on the top of the drawer bottom. That should give the drawer a nice smell.

Anyways tomorrow is the hinge and stay fitting day. Wish me luck.

No comments: