Thursday, July 19, 2007

The New Table...

So are current project is a cabinet project. It is being lead by David Up-fill Brown. He was the original head of school here. And now he is the lead instructor at The Centre for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine.

So not wanting to follow what the rest of my class is doing, by building a display cabinet or a cabinet on stand. I designed this:













Sorry for the bad photoshoped pictures, I'm still learning how to use it.

It is what I call a cabinet table. It's a modular coffee table. The top sits free on 2 base pieces. The bigger of the two pieces has two frame and panel doors that fold down to reveal the cabinet and drawer inside. But the thing that I really like about this piece is that you can create any table that you want. The bases can be configured into any combination that you can think of to form your table. The concept also allows you to store away all the crap that can collect on top of a coffee table when the guest come over. Then you can put out those books that you want them all to see and hide all the stuff you don't. (oh by the way just in case you thought that was the real thing, which I hope you did, it's really a 1:5 scale model that I built.)

So I have about 5 weeks to build this and I hope to make a couple of end tables or a sofa table to match, but we'll see.

Until then...sometimes it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

No comments: