Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Melbourne Trip

Last week I set off to Melbourne to go to The Working with Wood Show. It was a really good trip. I couldn't believe how fast it was to fly to Melbourne. Almost as soon as week reach flying altitude we were heading back down for landing. The flight was 46 minutes. So the traveling wasn't bad at all.

The show was pretty good. It was like almost every show that I have been to, but a little smaller. It was full of different displays, things like people selling wood, to new clamps and router bits. To big machinery and small handheld powertools. The most interesting part of the show was the exhibition. The Victorian woodworker Asso. held an exhibition. It was really interesting to see the work. It really gives me a lot of hope. As I looked through what was there (being a furniture maker) I had a really critical eye. And what I saw gave me hope that I will be able to make it in this business. Most of the pieces were really good. But all of them except for about 3 had what I would call, "only because I built furniture" mistakes. A little chip out here or a joint not quite all the way in, cabinets not finished underneath. Little things that the normal eye wouldn't pick up.

My favorite part of the show was the schools booth. I loved talking to people and explaining what we did at the school. Showing off my box and explaining the details. I especially liked when people asked how much my box was and the look of disbelief when I told them. I was asking 1200.00 for my box. (only because I really didn't want to sell it.) I was told though that it should sell for around 800-1000.



It was really nice having a few days off. But now I feel so far behind on my Hall Table. I have to make up some ground this week. As of today, I have finished gluing up the back design and dry fitted everything except the drawers together. By the end of this week I hope to have the entire piece expect the drawers glued up and stained pure black. (except the top of course that stays natural) So until next week.

No comments: