Friday, June 8, 2007

One week left.

Well there is one week left until I leave for Sydney. I was starting to worry that I might not get everything done in time. I started out the week with all the parts cut and to size. I spent Monday gluing up the side frames to all 7 stools. Needless to say this took a lot of time and a lot of clamps. I didn't have enough clamps to do them all at once. I could only do 2 stools at a time. So I started with the Celery Top Pine ones first. Because this gave me the chance to cut all the tapers for the exhibition set while the glued dried.

So I made a real simple taper jig. Basically it was a straight piece of MDF that had a tapered fixed fence and a stop on it. So that the taper that I wanted to cut hung of the side. I then ripped the taper on the Hitachi Resaw machine. I used this because blackwood is prone to burning, and the table saw would have burnt it. I then used the joiner and jointed the tapered edge smooth. It worked great.

Tuesday I finished gluing up all the sides and did some sanding to the ones that were already dried.



Wednesday I spent the day in the car. I rented a chair to go down to Hobart and pick up some supplies. I had to go and pick up some 1.8 mm plywood to mold my seats out of. Then I had to go the leather shop to get the last of the leather that I used. I took the whole day, because Hobart is a 2.5 hour drive one way.

Today I finished all that I had to before glue up the stools. And then I glued them up. I also made 4 of the 7 seats that I need. I have to glue together 5 pieces of that 1.8 mm plywood and then use the vacuum press and mold them over a former. It takes about 2.5 hours for the glue to dry. So getting one in at 9, 11:30, 2, 4:45. So that will give me something to do Monday.



Well if all goes to plan I should get both sets done before I go. Which would be great. If things go wrong then I will only get the three that are going to the exhibition done and the set of 4 will have to wait until I get back. The good thing is that they aren't due until the 5 of July. So I will have a couple of days when I get back if needed. But let's hope not.

Be good all,

Kaleo

No comments: