Friday, August 18, 2006

Losing our Leader

So this last week has been pretty normal. In fact I can't really think of much new to write about. I've spent most of the week making some drawers for the chest of drawers that I am making at the moment. Neil has taught us the way that he makes drawers. Which was completely different to the way that I had always known. But I must say that his way is much better. He makes them in a way so that the drawer sides are a lot thinner, so that the overall drawer is not only lighter but looks so much more elegant.

We had a meeting this week with the head of the school of architecture. He came to discuss the future of the school with us. For those of you that didn't know, the school was once private but last year almost went bankrupt. So the Australian government decided to lend a helping hand. They decided to make the school part of the university of Tasmania. Anyways the university has decided to keep the school going in the near future. The only problem is that our fearless leader Neil Erasmus has decided that he needs to get back to his business in Perth. So he is leaving at the end of the year. Which is both a good and bad thing. Next year our course is mostly taught by visiting lecturers. Meaning we get other designer/makers who come in and teach a specific class. So we don't get any actual teaching from Neil. But he would be there to bounce ideas and concepts off of. But now with him and Pam leaving, they are actually coming back next year to teach us a 6 week class. So we will actually get more of him this way. So I think it's a good thing.

Anyways until next week. I start making my self designed hall table. So I will keep you all up to date on that.

No comments: